Writing a CMS from scratch again
I do this a lot, write a CMS from scratch, it’s always an interesting exercise. I know the problems to be tackled well from many years of working with Drupal before they made their ill fated move to OOP. But rarely do I get to a point where I think I can start tackling problems with these custom CMS’s like I used to with Drupal. But it looks like I’m getting there this time. I’d like to think this is really something.
There are still a few minor quirks to the CMS lib to iron out before I publish the 0.0.1 release. And the CLI app, which is the only direct interface is barely even started, not that it’s necessary given the flat file nature of the system. Just grab a text editor and start banging out markdown files and directories and you have a site. The exporter is a bash script but I want to move it to the CLI and integrate it with a file watcher. But overall I think this CMS will have more staying power for me because I have a clearer idea of what I want out of it and I’ve finally moved beyond what I used to do with Drupal (at least for composition and display). All in a lighter, faster package, written in Rust.